Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer
photo of attorney Timothy P. Kelly

Will a restraining order go on my public record?

On Behalf of | Aug 11, 2023 | Blog, Criminal Defense, Domestic Violence |

If someone serves you with a protection or restraining order in Washington state, you might wonder what the repercussions are, especially if the order can have a long-term impact on your future.

Restraining orders go on your public record

If the court issues a harassment or restraining order against you, it will go on your public record, where anyone who runs a background check on you can see it, including potential employers.

Restraining orders usually remain on your public record for 3 to 5 years or the date the order is set to expire. However, the court can issue an order to take it off your record, in which case it may be removed sooner.

Permanent protective orders

If the court grants a permanent protective order against you, it will stay on your record indefinitely, and you will have to request the court to have it removed, which the court may or may not do.

Can I do anything to get a restraining order off my record sooner?

Every case is different, and the court will evaluate your case in order to determine whether it is proper to remove the order from your record. However, there are things you can do to help yourself so when the time comes for you to request the court to take the order off your record, you may have a better chance of succeeding in your petition.

Violation of protective orders

You must understand the importance of following the protective order and everything on it precisely as stated. If you violate a protection order in Washington state, you could be looking at hefty fines and jail time.

If someone files a protective order against you and the court issues the order, it can result in various limitations and consequences, some of which could potentially affect you for a long time. It is important to understand the law and how restraining orders work, so you can take action if you can, especially if the order was issued a long time ago and it is still on your record.